Sunday, May 20, 2012

Viet Nam Beckons!

For the past two years I've been bouncing between China and Vietnam, though I know the language(s) of neither country (I suppose I qualify as one of the ugly Americans), as both countries have immense need for native speakers of the English language to support their ambitious language programs. My center of gravity has tipped toward Vietnam in recent months, perhaps partly to absolve a deep-seated guilt associated with having been an adolescent in the '60's (one among the things I carry -- if you know that fine Viet Nam era novel by Tim O'Brien) and partly to throw my lot in with a diminutive, though plucky, emerging republic. These things happen when one opens one's home to visitors from afar as my family did three years ago when eight young English teachers from Viet Nam visited Hong Kong, especially since their quiet resolve and indomitable spirit lingered long after their departure.

I've since developed an adjunct relationship with Thai Nguyen University after learning of the university's desperate need for native speakers of the English language on its faculty. My work began with the teaching rhetoric and writing to doctoral candidates in English Education. More recently, I've taught more generally in the education program (philosophy of education and educational leadership) and the MATE (Master of Arts in Teaching English) program, traveling to Viet Nam four weekends this semester to offer a range of seminars in English Education. With the founding of a new undergraduate program whose curriculum is delivered through the English language, the demand for native speakers of English has become even more critical. Teaching opportunities are available for established and aspiring scholars that could energize a sabbatical or growth semester or year. 

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. I'd like to know more about how to get involved helping the Vietnamese learn english. Post more details!

    ReplyDelete