Friday, July 1, 2011

Amerika First: Back from the South



And the South from which I am back is that special region of the South as yet unfazed by the Internet. Not even a McDonald's in sight -- so the prospect of breakfast with wi-fi never materialized. But, hey, I did manage a visit to Appomattox Court House and a bit of immersion into Civil [sic] War lore in this sesquicentennial year. The visit to my grandfather's farm was even more sobering as what was once a grand antebellum home that graced the property has now fallen into utter disrepair. The momma-dharma proved largely successful, however, save the inexplicable drip that continues to bead underneath the basin. Plumbers-r-us . . . not! The unruly project curtailed plans to visit former colleagues in the Old North State, but I was able to make a late-in-the-day excursion (they may recall it as an incursion) to the Stoneking homestead. Brief, but blessed! And so upon my return to the land of the Internet and poised to charge into New England (at last!), a farewell hurrah to the red clay and longleaf pine and country ham biscuits for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment